Top 10 Things To Check When Buying A Used Car
1. Vehicle History Report: Ask for a most recent vehicle history report of the used car, check for any accidents, damage, or maintenance records.
2. Vehicle Odometer Verification: Check the used car mileage on the vehicle of interest to ensure that it matches the vehicle history report and the condition of the car.
3. Vehicle Exterior Condition: Inspect the exterior of the used car for any dents, scratches, shotty auto body repair or rust. Make sure to check the panel gaps, as well as headlights, taillights, and turn signals for moisture.
4. Vehicle Interior Condition: Inspect the interior of the used car for fit and finish, tears, stains, unusual odors, excessive wear and tear on the seats, carpet and pedals, inoperable motorized components and dashboard function.
5. Vehicle Test Drive: Take the used car for a test drive to check for any unusual noises, clunks, vibrations, or handling issues.
6. Mechanical Condition: Hire a professional auto repair mechanic to inspect the used car's mechanical components, including the engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension. A second opinion by a reputable and qualified auto repair technician can be worth this extra step in the used car buying process.
7. Vehicle Tire Condition: Check the condition and tread depth of the tires on the used car of interest to ensure that they are in a safe condition that meets used auto dealership requirements.
8. Vehicle Maintenance History: Review the used car's maintenance and repair receipts to ensure that the vehicle has been properly maintained, repair and serviced.
9. Vehicle Title and Registration: Check the title and registration of the used car to confirm that it is up-to-date and that vehicle of interest has no liens, outstanding debts and is legally owned by owner or used car dealership.
10. Vehicle Value Pricing: Research the fair market value of the used car against other comparable same makes and models to ensure that vehicle is a fair price based on the used car's overall condition, mileage, and features.